This was magnamimous given it was an extraordinary dining experience despite the fact they didn't have on offer his wine (s).
The restaurant opened for lunch and we were but two diners giving us the option of sitting in-doors, or outside on a wonderful vine covered terrace overlooking the river.
The setting, food and wine service could not have been more delightful.
We had skirt/flank steak, beef burgers and salads. With our entrees we ordered from the winelist this St Josef Northern Rhone Syrah.
M. Chapoutier St. Joseph Deschants Syrah 2017
The vineyard was originally established in the areas surrounding Tournon : Mauves, Saint-Jean de Muzols et Lemps. ” Mauves wines ” were higly reputed in the last century even as far as Russia, on the Tsars’ dining table. Two sites had already gained respect at that time. Saint-Joseph hill-side, a parcel of land owned today by maison Chapoutier, and that of Saint-Épine.
The soil is granitic and slightly acidic, on the right bank of the Rhône on the foothills of the Massif Central. Chapoutier own the parcel of Saint-Joseph, situated between Mauves and Tournon, which has given its name to the appellation.
This was 100% Syrah sourced from the southern sector from Arras down to Mauves, 40% estate fruit and the remainder 60%
purchased, Aged 60% in vat and 40% oak casks for 12-18 months. Production was 170,000 bottles.
Wine Advocate rated this wine 91-93 to points.
Dark garnet colored, full bodied, concentrated black cherry and blueberry fruits with notes of floral, cassis, olive tapenade, cracked pepper, spice and black tea, with soft, ripe tannins and lingering on the finish.
RM 91 points.