Thanksgiving dinner features family, food and extensive wine flight (s)
Prior to dinner we had a selection of artisan cheeses, fresh fruits and mixed vegetables, olives and peppers, shrimp cocktail, and other accoutrements.
I set the dinner table with glassware for a flight of wines to accompany four dinner courses, sparkling white, white, red or big red, and aperitif of dessert wine, prompting Linda to remind me it was a dinner, not a wine tasting. Of course, I disagreed ... You be the judge.
I was prepared to open a lighter red wine, Pinot Noir, for the turkey and stuffing dressing, but the crowd overwhelmingly favored and opted for Big Reds as opposed to the more genteel Pinot.
Our wine flight (s):
|Thanksgiving Dinner White Wine Flight|
- FranciaCorte Berlucci '61 Rose Sparkling Wine
- Field Recordings "Hock" Edelzwicker (Noble Blend) Alsace White Wine 2018
- Schweiger Uboldi Vineyard Sonoma Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2018
- Venge Vineyards Scout's Honor Napa Valley Red Blend 2015 and 2018
- Viader Vineyards "V" Petit Verdot 2001
- Del Dotto Vineyards Connoisseur Series Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 (Magnum)
- Cliff Lede "High Fidelity" Stags Leap District Red Blend 2017
- Venge Vineyards Family Reserve Napa Valley Oakville Cabernet Sauvignon 2006
- Chateau Doisy-Vedrines Grand Cru Classe Sauterne Bordeaux 2005
|Thanksgiving Dinner Red Wine Flight|
Watch for follow on tasting notes and reviews as we parse this selection, and follow on with several more spectacular wines during our gala holiday weekend of extensive festivities.