Stringer Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Stagecoach Vineyard 2017
Son Alec dropped in and brought this Napa Cabernet to share and compare with the Silver Oak Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2007 that we had open. He obtained this wine through a wine club source from whom he has acquired several great wine finds.
From their website, Stringer Cellars is a family owned and operated winery making wine from premier vineyard sites throughout California.
Inspired by a family trip to Napa Valley, Casey Stringer from Wisconsin developed an interest in wine and set a course to pursue a career in the industry. He picked up a job at a local wine shop to begin learning all he could while father Chip began collecting wines both from Napa and around the world.
Casey went to college in California, in Santa Barbara and got a job as a cellar hand at a local winery where he soon realized that he wanted to spend his time in the cellar and vineyards. Throughout his twenties, he traveled both near and abroad seeking different experiences in winemaking. He worked and gained experience at Robert Sinskey Vineyards in Napa, Archery Summit in Oregon and a few wineries in Central Otago and Hawke’s Bay, New Zealand, where he attended school for a formal winemaking education. Upon returning to California, Casey worked in the cellar at the esteemed Santa Ynez cult winery Jonata.
Stringer Cellars started in Windsor, California but now makes their wine high up on Atlas Peak in the Napa Valley, and at winery in the heart of Sonoma County. It’s a family affair with Casey as lead winemaker, father Chip oversees operations with his vast experience running a family specialty manufacturing business back in Wisconsin, brothers Andrew and Tim tending to marketing and sales and wife, Brooke often found pouring tastings behind the bar.
Stringer's winemaking philosophy is to use the finest grapes he can find from the best vineyard sites in California, to carefully produce small lot wines with minimalist winemaking techniques, allowing the fruit and individual vineyards to shine through in each label release.
Stringer Cellars sources grapes from a wide range of prestigious vineyards throughout California seeking the finest fruit possible. Below are the vineyards sources for the Stringer portfolio of wines:
- Stagecoach Vineyard, Pritchard Hill Region Napa Valley, California
- Williamson Vineyard, Oak Knoll District AVA Napa Valley, California
- Pelissa Vineyard, Oakville AVA Napa Valley, California
- Ghost Block Vineyard, Yountville AVA Napa Valley, California
- Harrison Clarke Vineyard, Ballard Canyon AVA Santa Ynez Valley, California
- John Sebastiano Vineyard, Sta. Rita Hills AVA Santa Barbara County, California
- Linda Vista Vineyard, Oak Knoll District AVA Napa Valley, California
- Shokrian Vineyard, Santa Barbara County AVA Los Alamos, California
- Kick Ranch Vineyard, Fountain Grove District AVA Santa Rosa, California
- Alder Springs Vineyard, Mendocino Laytonville, California
This Stagecoach Vineyard Cabernet is clone 337 from Block C3A in the Pritchard Hill region of the vineyard. This region of Napa is characterized by red volcanic rock and large diurnal shifts which are ideal for ripening Cabernet Sauvignon.
This 2017 label release was awarded 97 points at the American Fine Wine Competition, 96 points by Decanter Magazine and 91 points by Connoisseur Guide to California Wine.