Monday, July 15, 2019

Kenwood Jack London Sonoma Cabernet 2014

Kenwood Vineyards Jack London Vineyard Sonoma Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon 2014

One of the not-so-local wineshops picked up an allotment of this label and are offering it at extraordinary discounts so I picked up a six pack for everyday drinking. Some Cellartracker members cite obtaining this from as low as $10 but I picked this up at just less than $15 which represents a good value for every day drinking.

This fits the popular wine collector strategy of keeping on hand a selection of every day wines, weekend wines, once a month wines, once a year wines, and very special occasion wines in the mix for a broad cellar selection. We have known this wine going back to the eighties and hold a bottle of this label in our cellar going back to son Alec's birth year 1990.

Kenwood Vineyards Jack London Vineyard Sonoma Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon 2014

Kenwood Vineyards is one of the historic Sonoma Valley producers with its winery tasting facility on the main Sonoma Highway running up the eastern edge of the valley just past Kunde and below the iconic Chateau St Jean.

Kenwood are the sole producer of wines from the historic lava-terraced vineyards of the famous Jack London Ranch on the western slope of the central Sonoma Valley in Glen Ellen. It is named for Jack London who was a pioneer farmer grower in Sonoma over 100 years ago. The unique red-lava soil vineyards produce Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, Merlot and Syrah varietal grapes.

Kenwood has been sourcing grapes from the Jack London Ranch since 1976. Located midway up the Eastern foothills of the Sonoma Mountain appellation, it has a long mild growing season that creates fruit with complexity and balance. The influence of the vineyard’s red volcanic soil and the fruity characteristics of the grapes combine to produce a quality, distinctive Cabernet Sauvignon which tends to provide reliable good QPR - quality price ratio wines in typical vintages

The composition of this label varies by vintage from 100% Cabernet to a blend that might be composed of around 89% Cabernet Sauvignon and the remaining 11% Merlot.

Dark garnet colored and medium full bodied this presents bright tangy black cherry fruits accented by a predominant layer of smoke with hints of menthol, tar, pepper and cedar on a tangy tongue puckering straight tannin finish.

RM 87 points.